Document Type: Original Article
Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology, Research Center for Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
M.D., Medical School, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Introduction: Considering the increasing use of the Internet, especially among students, the Internet-related consequences require more attention from practitioners. Therefore, this research was conducted to determine the relationship between Internet addiction and anxiety symptoms in social interactions and coping styles among medical students of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences in 1397.
Methods: In this descriptive-analytic study, 120 medical students studying at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences were selected. Data were collected using Young's Internet addiction inventory, Blingess and Mouse coping questionnaire, and social interaction anxiety scale (SIAS). Data were collected using SPSS version 21 statistic software package. At the descriptive level, the mean and standard deviation, and at the inferential level, Pearson correlation coefficient were used for analyzing and explaining the data.
Results: Among 120 medical students studied in this research, 43.3% were female and 56.7% were male; 30.8% of them were at basic sciences level, 19.2% at physiopathology, and 50% at clinical. The findings of this study showed that there is a relationship between Internet addiction and anxiety symptoms in social interactions as well as between Internet addiction and stress coping styles. In addition, there was a direct relationship between Internet addiction and anxiety symptoms in social interactions and stress coping styles based on students’ gender and their educational level.
Conclusion: According to the various studies as well as the findings of this study, there is a direct relationship between students’ Internet addiction and anxiety symptoms in social interactions and coping styles. Therefore, in order to reduce the psychological consequences of Internet abuse, basic measures should be taken.
- Lashgarara B, Taghavi Shahri M, Maheri AB, Sadeghi R. Internet addiction and general health of dormitory students of TehranUniversity of Medical Sciences in 2010. Journal of School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research. 2012;10(1):67-76. (Persian)
- Rasoli MR, Azadmajd A. Internet addiction and its effects,Social Sciences book. 2013;67(17):90-97. (Persian)
- Kim S, Kim R. A study of internet
addiction: status, causes, and remedies. Journal of Korean Home Economics Association English Edition. 2002;3(1).
- Bidi F, Namdari Pezhman M, Amani A, Ghanbari S, Kareshki H. Structural analysis of relationship of internet addiction with depression, social adjustment and self-esteem. Avicenna Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2012;19(3):41-8. (Persian)
- Kandell JJ. Internet addiction on campus: The vulnerability of college students. Cyberpsychology & behavior. 1998;1(1):11-7.
- Kooraki M, Yazdkhasti F, Ebrahimi A, Oreizi HR. Effectiveness of psychodrama in improving social skills and reducing internet addiction in female students. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology. 2012;17(4):279-88. (Persian)
- Shahbazi S, Heydari M, Shaykhi RA. The effect of problem solving course on student&# 039 s stress intolerance. Journal of Shahrekord Uuniversity of Medical Sciences. 2011;13. (Persian)
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed). Arlington VA: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2013.
- Sung J, Lee J, Noh HM, Park YS, Ahn EJ. Associations between the risk of internet addiction and problem behaviors among Korean adolescents. Korean journal of family medicine. 2013;34(2):115.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, Text revision (4th ed). Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
- Ha JH, Yoo HJ, Cho IH, Chin B, Shin D, Kim JH. Psychiatric comorbidity assessed in Korean children and adolescents who screen positive for Internet addiction. The Journal of clinical psychiatry. 2006.
- Dargahi H, Razavi SM. Internet addiction and its related factors: a study of an Iranian population. Payesh, Journal of the Iranian Institute For Health Sciences Research. 2007; 6(3): 265-272. (Persian)
- Villella C, Martinotti G, Di Nicola M, Cassano M, La Torre G, Gliubizzi MD, Messeri I, Petruccelli F, Bria P, Janiri L, Conte G. Behavioural addictions in adolescents and young adults: results from a prevalence study. Journal of gambling studies. 2011;27(2):203-14.
- Kuh GD, Vesper N. Do computers enhance or detract from student learning?. Research in Higher Education. 2001;42(1):87-102.
- Motamednejad K. UNESCO and the protection of children against Internet. Resaneh Journal 2002; 12: 28-33.
- Zenozian S, Gharai B, Yazdandoost R. Effects of teaching problem solving in change student coping strategies. Tabriz Journal of Psychology. 2010;5:20. (Persian).
- Jalali D, Aghababai A, Bagheri S. A Study of Factors Involved in Internet-Use among the Youth: An Analysis of the Survey Results from the Province of Charmahal and Bakhtiari. University of Tehran Electronic Journals Database. Global Media. 2008;6. (Persian)
- Ebrahimi S, Khammarnia M, Porvazn N, Karamipur M, Jamshidzahi H, Setoodezadeh F, Peyvand M. The prevalence of internet addiction and its relationship with quality of sleep and quality of life among students of zahedan University of medical Sciences. Journal of School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research. 2018 Sep 10;16(2):126-37. (Persian)
- Niemz K, Griffiths M, Banyard P. Prevalence of pathological Internet use among university students and correlations with self-esteem, the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ), and disinhibition. Cyberpsychology & behavior. 2005;8(6):562-70.
- Dong B, Zhao F, Wu XS, Wang WJ, Li YF, Zhang ZH, Sun YH. Social anxiety may modify the relationship between internet addiction and its determining factors in Chinese adolescents. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction. 2019;17(6):1508-20.
- Mozafari S, Sepahvandi MA, Ghazanfari F. Study of the relationship between Internet addiction with social Anxiety and Loneliness among high school students in Yasuj. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education & Research| Oct-Dec. 2018;8(S2):143. (Persian)
- Folkman S, Lazarus RS. An analysis of coping in a middle-aged community sample. Journal of health and social behavior. 1980:219-39.
- Lazarus RS, Lazarus RS. Emotion and adaptation. Oxford University Press on Demand; 1991.
- Naeim M, Rezaeisharif A, Zandian H. The Relationship Between Internet Addiction and Social Adjustment, and Test Anxiety of the Students of Ardabil University of Medical Sciences. Shiraz E-Medical Journal. 2020;21(11). (Persian)
- Turi A, Miri M, Beheshti D, Yari E, Khodabakhshi H, Anani Sarab G. Prevalence of Internet addiction and its relationship with anxiety, stress, and depression in intermediate students in Birjand city in 2014. Journal of Birjand University of Medical Sciences. 2015;22(1):67-75. (Persian)
- Scimeca G, Bruno A, Cava L, Pandolfo G, Muscatello MR, Zoccali R. The relationship between alexithymia, anxiety, depression, and internet addiction severity in a sample of Italian high school students. The Scientific World Journal. 2014;2014.
- Younes F, Halawi G, Jabbour H, El Osta N, Karam L, Hajj A, Rabbaa Khabbaz L. Internet addiction and relationships with insomnia, anxiety, depression, stress and self-esteem in university students: A cross-sectional designed study. PloS one. 2016;11(9):e0161126.
- Salehi Omran E, Azizi Shomami M, Keshavarz K. Relationship between internet addiction and depression among secondary school students in Kordkuy, Iran, with an emphasis on the type of virtual network. J Educ Community Health. 2018;5(1):13-8.
- Elavarasan K, Dhandapani T, Norman P, Vidya DC, Mani G. The association between Internet addiction, social phobia and depression in medical college students. Int J Community Med Public Health. 2018 Oct;5(10):4351.
- Feng Y, Ma Y, Zhong Q. The Relationship Between Adolescents’ Stress and Internet Addiction: A Mediated-Moderation Model. Frontiers in psychology. 2019;10.
- Young KS. Internet addiction: The emergence of a new clinical disorder. Cyberpsychology & behavior. 1998;1(3):237-44.
- Alavi SS, Maracy MR, Jannatifard F, Eslami M. The effect of psychiatric symptoms on the internet addiction disorder in Isfahan's University students. Journal of research in medical sciences: the official journal of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. 2011;16(6):793. (Persian)
- Billings AG, Moos RH. Coping, stress, and social resources among adults with unipolar depression. Journal of personality and social psychology. 1984;46(4):877.
- Hosseini Ghadamgahi J. Investigation of association of stress, coping strategies and quality of relationship with coronary heart disease (Doctoral dissertation, MA. Dissertation. Tehran: Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran Psychiatric Institute, 1997: 101-2. (Persian)
- Li D, Zhang W, Li X, Zhou Y, Zhao L, Wang Y. Stressful life events and adolescent Internet addiction: The mediating role of psychological needs satisfaction and the moderating role of coping style. Computers in Human Behavior. 2016;63:408-15.
- Piri Z, Majd MA, Bazzazian S, Ghamari M. The Mediating Role of Coping Strategies in Relation with Psychological Needs and Internet Addiction among College Student. International Journal of Applied Behavioral Sciences. 2019;5(3):9-17.
- Heimberg RG, Mueller GP, Holt CS, Hope DA, Liebowitz MR. Assessment of anxiety in social interaction and being observed by others: The Social Interaction Anxiety Scale and the Social Phobia Scale. Behavior therapy. 1992;23(1):53-73.
- Tavoli A, Allahyari A, Azadfallah P, Fathi Ashtiani A, Melyani M, Sahragard M. Validity and reliability of the farsi version of social interaction anxiety scale (sias). Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology. 2012;18(3):227-32. (Persian)
- Dastjerdi N, Sayadi S Relationship between using social networks and internet addiction and depression among students. Journal of Research in Behavioural Sciences. 2013;10(5):332-41. (Persian)
- Iranlou M, Goudarzi P. Evaluation of relationship between internet addiction with social isolation and social interaction. Thesis of master degree.Science and Culture university.2011(Persian)
- Fayazi R. Relationship between management of social skills with internet addiction in juvenile between age 18-20 in shiraz. (Thesis) Azad university of Marvdasht. 2012. (Persian)
- Jafari N, Fatehizadeh M. Investigation of the relationship between internet addiction and depression, anxiety, stress and social phobia among students in Isfahan University. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. 2012;17(4). (Persian)
- Thatcher A, Wretschko G, Fisher J. Problematic Internet use among information technology workers in South Africa. CyberPsychology & Behavior. 2008;11(6):785-7.
- Liu TC, Desai RA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Cavallo DA, Potenza MN. Problematic Internet use and health in adolescents: data from a high school survey in Connecticut. The Journal of clinical psychiatry. 2011 ;72(6):836.
- Orsal O, Orsal O, Unsal A, Ozalp SS. Evaluation of internet addiction and depression among university students. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2013;82:445-54.
- Lee J, Hwang JY, Park SM, Jung HY, Choi SW, Lee JY, Choi JS. Differential resting-state EEG patterns associated with comorbid depression in Internet addiction. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry. 2014;50:21-6.
- Yen JY, Ko CH, Yen CF, Wu HY, Yang MJ. The comorbid psychiatric symptoms of Internet addiction: attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression, social phobia, and hostility. Journal of adolescent health. 2007;41(1):93-8.
- Masoudnia E. Relationship between Pathological Compulsive use of Internet and Incidence of Anxiety and insomnia symptoms among the Academic Members of Yazd University. Quarterly Journal of Research and Planning in Higher Education. 2011;17(3):75-96.