Document Type: Original Article
Professor of psychiatry, Research Center for Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
M.D., Student Research Committee, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Introduction: Burnout is the product of prolonged stress in the workplace and this syndrome is revealed when individual's abilities are not enough to cope with demands of the workplace. Therefore, this syndrome is very common among people with careers involving helping others like medical doctors. Therefore, in this research, we evaluated the relationship between burnout and aggression.
Methods: The present study aimed to investigate the correlation of aggression and burnout among medical interns of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences.
This is a cross-sectional study, and the burnout, multidimensional anger, and demographic questionnaires were filled out by 90 medical interns. The results were analyzed using SPSS 2016 and Pearson correlation test.
Results: The results revealed a positive significant correlation between aggression and burnout especially regarding medical intern’s sex (male), residency (dormitory), and marital status (single). In addition, anger arousal was correlated with three dimensions of burnout and anger in general, and hostile attitude was correlated with emotional exhaustion.
Conclusions: The present study indicated that anger is correlated with burnout, so healthcare organizations should prevent the personnel from experiencing burnout.
- Atef L, Roohol amin M, Noori A, Molavi H. The rate of job burnout and job satisfaction among general surgeons and internists in Isfahan. Journal of Knowledge and Research in psychology. 2006; 29: 129-151. (persian)
- Ofordile C. Burnout among human services providers in Nigeria. Sustainable human development review. Int Multidisiplin Acad Res J. 2010; 2(2):5-14
- Maslach C, Goldberg J. Prevention of burnout. Applied Preventive Psychology J.1998; 7:63-74.
- Dick M. Burnout in doctorally prepared Nurse faculty. Journal of Nursing Education.1992; 3(8):330-345.
- Maslach C. Burnout: The cost of caring. Cambridge: Institute for the Study of Human Knowledge; 2003. p:276.
- Pardakhtchi M, Ahmadi G, Arezumandi F. The Relationship between Quality of Work Life and Burnout among School Managers and Teachers in Takestan. Quarterly Journal of Educational Leadership & Administration of Garmsar University. 2009; 3(3): 25-50. (Persian)
- Maslach C, Jackson SE, Leiter MP. Maslach Burnout Inventory. 3rd ed. New York: Palo Alto Consulting Psychologists Press; 1996. p: 218.
- Schaufeli WB. Professional burnout: Recent development in theory and research.1st ed. Washington: Taylor & Francis; 1994 .p:312.
- Tibayi T, Ebrahimi A, Samuie R, Nasiri H. Burnout in psychologists and psychiatrists of Isfahan and its inter relation with individual and professional factors. Journal of Behavioral Sciences Research.2013; 11(5): 465-473. (Persian).
- Macphee M, Ellid J, Sanchez A. Nurse staffing and patient safety. Cannadian Nurse J.2006; 102(8): 18-23.
- Pines AM, Kanner AD. Nurses' burnout: lack of positive conditions and presence of negative conditions as two independent sources of stress. J Psychiatr Nurs. 1982; 20(8):30-35.
- Sadeghi F. Occupational burnout, causes, factors, and ways to deal with it. Journal of Electrical Industry [Internet]; 2010[cited2011]. 159:38-42. Availablefrom: http://migna.ir/vdcj.ve8fuqeoasfzu.html(Persian)
- CPME: Statement on the burnout syndrome among physicians [Internet]. Berlin: European forum of Medical Association and WHO;2012-2016[cited 2003 Feb7-9]. Available from: http://www.cpme.eu/european_forum_of_medical_associations_and_the_who/
- Yaratan H, Uludag O. The impact of verbal aggression on burnout: An empirical study on university students. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2012; 46: 41–46.
- Evers W, Tomic W, Brouwers A. Aggressive behaviour and burnout among staff of homes for the elderly. Int J Ment Health Nurs. 2002 March; 11(1): 2-9.
- Ghorbani A. Effectiveness of anger management training on self-efficacy and job satisfaction of insurance staff (Theses). Allameh Tabatabai University: Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences; 2011. p: 2. (Persian)
- Beshkar S. The Effect of Anger Management Skills Training on Reducing Marital Conflict Among Couples Referring to Baghmalek Dispute Resolution Councils (Theses).Ahvaz: Shahid Chamran University; 2008. p: 53.(Persian)
- Etkinson RL, Etkinson RC, Smith E, Bam DJ. Nellen Hexma S, Smith CD. Introduction to Hilgard Psychology. Bahrami R,translator. Tehran: Roshd; 2004. P: 616.(Persian)
- Maslach C, Jakson SE. The measurement of experienced burnout. Journal Occupational Behavior.1981; 2(2): 99-113.
- Raed p, Delavar A, Dortaj F. Production and Standardize of Multidimentional Anger Scale of Highscool students of Gilangharb. Pedagogy measurement Quarterly. 2011; 5: 61-63. (Persian)
- Dahlin ME, Runeson B. Burnout and psychiatric morbidity among medical students entering clinical training: a three year prospective questionnaire and interview-based study. BMC Medical Education.2007 April; 6:7.
- Muscatello MR, Bruno A, Carroccio C, Cedro C, La Torre D, Di Rosa AE, et al. Association between burnout and anger in oncology versus ophthalmology health care professionals. Psychol Rep. 2006 Oct; 99(2): 641-50.
- Terrones-Rodríguez JF, Cisneros-Pérez V, Arreola-Rocha JJ. Burnout syndrome in medical residents at the General Hospital of Durango, México. Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc. 2016 Mar-Apr; 54(2): 242-8.
- Chang E, Eddins-Folensbee F, Coverdale J. Survey of the prevalence of burnout, stress, depression, and the use of supports by medical students at one school. Acad Psychiatry. 2012 May; 36(3): 177-82.
- Soher JK, Yaman H, Esteva M, Dobbs F, Asenova RS, Katic M, et al. Burnout in European family doctors: the EGPRN study. Fam Pract. 2008 Aug; 25(4): 245-65.
- Martini S, Arfken CL, Churchill A, Balon R. Burnout comparison among residents in different medical specialties. Acad Psychiatry. 2004; 28(3): 240-2.
- Yumna M, Hibbah H ,Huma A, Waqas H, Hifsa S, Marium T, et al. Burnout and its Associated Factors in Medical Students of Lahore, Pakistan. Cureus J. [Internet] 2015 july [cited 2015 Nov]; 7(11).Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4689594/