Document Type: Original Article
PhD, Health Services Management, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Hafez Hospital, Shiraz, Iran
PhD, Health Services Management, Research Center for Environmental Determinants of Health (RCEDH), Health Institute, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Health Services Management, Faculty of Management, Islamic Azad University, South Tehran Branch, Iran., Tehran, Iran
Introduction: Designing and constructing hospitals using green approach leads to the reduction of energy consumption and carbon emissions, and improvement of indoor air quality and the environment. The purpose of the present study is to prioritize the criteria for green hospital deployment model in Fars province.
Methods: This studywhich included identifying criteria systematically, categorizing criteria for green hospital deployment, and agreeing on the most important criteria affecting green hospital deployment using Delphi method was conducted with 30 hospital experts in the field under study in two stages of Delphi and sampling using snowball method. Priority and relevance of variables have been discussed using dimethyl.
Results: In the systematic review phase, the criteria for green hospital were 72 criteria out of 21 common patterns/models in the world. In Fars province, experts selected 34 criteria from 13 dimensions. Based on experts’ view, the most important dimensions in Fars province are management, water consumption, health care and treatment. Management dimension having the highest weight and being the most influential among the 13 dimensions of green hospital indicates the significance of managers' role in executing green hospitals.
Conclusion: Green hospitals have an impact on healthcare industry and people. In this regard, the strategic role of managers in today's hospitals affects the environment while increasing costs in increasing the disease burden. It is also important to use modern methods and creativity in establishing green hospital standards.
- Karliner J GRA. A comprehensive environmental health agenda for hospitals and health systems around the world. Health care. California2011.
- Shabani YV, Ali. Houshmand, Elaheh. Comparison and comparison of existing models for management of Green Hospital. Healthcare management. 2016;7(1):20.
- Kaplan S, Sadler B, Little K, Franz C, Orris P. Can sustainable hospitals help bend the health care cost curve?: Commonwealth Fund; 2012.( Persian)
- Roberts I, Mohan D, Abbasi K. War on the roads: The public health community must intervene. British Medical Journal Publishing Group; 2002.
- Chung JW, Meltzer DO. Estimate of the carbon footprint of the US health care sector. Jama. 2009;302(18):1970-2.
- Van Demark RE SV, Fiegen A. . Lean and Green Hand Surgery. Journal of Hand Surgery. 2018;43(2)::179-81.
- Sahamir SR ZR. Green assessment criteria for public hospital building development in Malaysia. Procedia Environmental Sciences. 2014 20:106-15
- Sahamir SR, Zakaria R, Alqaifi G, Abidin NI, Rooshdi RRRM. Investigation of green assessment criteria & sub-criteria for public hospital building development in Malaysia. Chemical Engineering Transactions: Italian Association of Chemical Engineering-AIDIC; 2017. p. 307-12.
- May E. Building green hospitals. Improve your economic viability, environmental impact, and community standing. Healthcare Executive. 2004;19(4):38-40.
- Ali Taleshi MSC, Farhad. Azimzadeh, Hamid Reza, Mohammad Taghi. Achievement of Green Hospital Standards at Yazd Educational Hospitals in 2013. Journal of Ilam University of Medical Sciences. 201322(5). .( Persian)
- Duputié S FN. The road to a greener hospital. Irish medical journal 2002;95(3):75-7.
- Reller A. Greener Hospitals, improving Environmental Performance, Environment scince center, . Univ: Bristol-Myers Squibb Company; Wissenschaftszentrum Umwelt 2012
- Tan LP. Implementing ISO 14001: is it beneficial for firms in newly industrialized Malaysia? Journal of Cleaner Production. 2005;13(4):397-404.
- Duputié S, Farrington N. The road to a greener hospital. Irish medical journal. 2002;95(3):75-7.
- Stevanovic M, Allacker K, Vermeulen S. Hospital building sustainability: the experience in using qualitative tools and steps towards the life cycle approach. Procedia environmental sciences. 2017;38:445-51.
- Mashmool AB, B. The analysis of the principles of social sustainability in designing of ecological complex such as cultural fairs. International conferenc in sustainability in architecture and urbanism; Masdar: UAE; 2014.
- Cole RJ. Building environmental assessment methods: redefining intentions and roles. Building Research & Information. 2005;33(5):455-67
- Lee W, Burnett J. Benchmarking
energy use assessment of HK-BEAM, BREEAM and LEED. Building and Environment. 2008;43(11):1882-91.
- Saadatian O, Haw LC, Mat S, Sopian K. Perspective of sustainable development in Malaysia. International Journal of Energy and Environment. 2012;6(2):260-7.
- Nilashi M, Zakaria R, Ibrahim O, Majid MZA, Zin RM, Chugtai MW, et al. A knowledge-based expert system for assessing the performance level of green buildings. Knowledge-Based Systems. 2015;86:194-209.
- Azar FE FF, Foroushani AR, Badpa M, Azmal M. Evaluation of Green Hospital Dimensions in Teaching and Private Hospitals Covered by Tehran University of Medical SciencesJournal of Service Science and Management. Journal of Service Science and Management. 2015;8(2):8(2).
- Shaabani YV, Najar. Meraji, Hooshmand Culture of Health Economics in Clinical Care: A Qualitative Study Journal of Health Administration. 2018; 21:20. .(Persian)