Document Type : Review Article
M.Sc., Shoushtari Mother and Child Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Ph.D. Candidate, Student Research Committee, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Shoushtari Mother and Child Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
M.Sc., Department of Pediatric Nursing, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
With respect to the role of family-centered education in health promotion and well-being, providing motivation for treatment and prevention in patients, and reducing health care costs, as indicated in the studies, the current study aimed to review the effect of family-centered education on patient's self-care. The researchers reviewed 42 qualitative and quantitative research papers from national and international databases from 2000 to 2019 with family-centered education, patient care, self-care, and family empowerment keywords. In the last few decades, the concept of family-centered education and self-care has been addressed and has been considered in various medical specialties, including nursing. Considering health, family-centered approach that emphasizes participatory decision-making for the patient received profound attention. One of the effective models in this regard is the family-centered empowerment model whose impact on patient's self-care has been confirmed. Moreover, family support in patient education is one of the success factors in educating and promoting health and preventing diseases through self-efficacy promotion. Several studies confirmed that using family-centered education and using patterns such as family-centered empowerment can be effective in promoting self-care behaviors of individuals. Family empowerment increases knowledge and attitude, leading to the improvement of performance and quality of care, enhancement of self-care, speeding up the recovery of patients, and reducing the complications of the disease.
- Dickson VV, Nocella J, Yoon H-W, Hammer M, Melkus GDE, Chyun D.
Cardiovascular disease self-care interventions. Nursing research and practice. 2013;2013.
- Orem DE, Taylor SG, Renpenning KM. Nursing concepts of practice. 1995.
- Wilkinson AM, Lynn J. Caregiving for advanced chronic illness patients. Techniques in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management. 2005;9(3):122-32.
- Mohammad Pour A, DN, N. The survey of the patient educational need on discharge phase in Gonabad health and treatment centers. Horizon Med Sci 12(4):34-9.
- Zand S, Asgari P, Bahramnezhad F, Rafiei F. The effect of two educational methods (family-centered and patient-centered) multimedia software on dysrhythmia of patients after acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Health. 2016;7(1):7-17.
- Park M. Understanding complexity of Asian American family care practices. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2010;24(3):189-201.
- Bland R, Darlington Y. The nature and sources of hope: Perspectives of family caregivers of people with serious mental illness. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2002;38(2):61-8.
- Alhani F. Design and evaluation of family-centered empowerment model to prevent iron deficiency anemia. Tehran: Tarbiat modarres University. 2003.
- Won CW, Fitts SS, Favaro S, Olsen P,
Phelan EA. Community-based “powerful tools” intervention enhances health of caregivers. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics. 2008;46(1):89-100.
- Timby BK, Smith NE. Essentials of nursing: Care of adults and children: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005.
- Craig PM, Lindsay GM. Nursing for public health: population based care: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2000.
- Auld ME, Hatcher MT. Environmental health promotion. Health promotion practice. 2010;11(3):301-46.
- Aaltonen P, Richards E, Webster K, Davis L. Use of the public health nursing bag in the academic setting. Public Health Nursing. 2009;26(1):88-94.
- Campbell LC, Keefe FJ, McKee DC, Edwards CL, Herman SH, Johnson LE, et al. Prostate cancer in African Americans: relationship of patient and partner self-efficacy to quality of life. Journal of pain and symptom management. 2004;28(5):433-44.
- Abrahamian FM, DeBlieux PM, Emerman CL, Kollef MH, Kupersmith E, Leeper Jr KV, et al. Health care–associated pneumonia: Identification and initial management in the ED. The American journal of emergency medicine. 2008;26(6):1-11.
- Vahedian Azimi A, Alhani F, Ahmadi F, Kazem Nejad A. Effect of application of family empowerment model-based on quality of life of parents with myocardial infraction. J Crit Care. 2009;2:127-32.
- Dalvand H, Rassafiani M, Bagheri H. Family Centered Approach: A literature the review. Journal of Modern Rehabilitation. 2014;8(1):1-9.
- Dempsey I, Keen D. A review of processes and outcomes in family-centered services for children with a disability. Topics in early childhood special education. 2008;28(1):42-52.
- Meyer C, Muhlfeld A, Drexhage C, Floege J, Goepel E, Schauerte P, et al. Clinical research for patient empowerment--a qualitative approach on the improvement of heart health promotion in chronic illness. Medical Science Monitor. 2008;14(7):CR358-CR65.
- McCarley P. Patient empowerment and motivational interviewing: Engaging patients to self-manage their own care. Nephrology nursing journal. 2009;36(4).
- Garrouste-Orgeas M, Willems V, Timsit JF, Diaw F, Brochon S, Vesin A, et al. Opinions of families, staff, and patients about family participation in care in intensive care units. Journal of critical care. 2010;25(4):634-40.
- Babazadeh T. BJ, Shojaeizadeh D. , Moradi F., Mirzaeian K., Gheysvandi E. Effect of educational intervention based on family-centered empowerment model in high risk behavior modification among patients with brucellosis. Jorjani Biomed J.
- Sanaie N, Nejati S, Zolfaghari M, Alhani F, KazemNejad A. The effect of family-centered empowerment in self efficacy and self esteem in patients undergoing coronary bypass graft surgery. Journal of Research Development in Nursing & Midwifery. 2013;10(2):44-53.
- Atashzadeh_Shoorideh H, Arshi S, Atashzadeh_Shoorideh F. The Effect of Family-centered Empowerment Model on the Life Style, Self-efficacy and HbA1C of Diabetic Patients. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2017;19(4):244-51.
- Parvareshan S, Shamsalinia A, Jahanshahi M, Hajiahmadi M. Impact of Family-Based Empowering Model on the Per-ceived Threat and Self-Efficacy of Families of Diabetic Elderly at Risk of Falling. Journal of Clinical Nursing and Midwifery. 2018;7(2):96-107.
- Sargazi Shad T, Kermansaravi F, Navidian A. Effect of the Family-Centered Empowerment Model on Quality of Life and Self-Efficacy in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes Referring to the AliAsghar'sClinic inZahedan,2016. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2018;19(5):330-39.
- Rajabi R, Sabzevari S, Borhani F, Haghdoost A, Bazargan N. The effect of family-centered Empowerment Model on quality of life school age children with asthma. Journal of Health
promotion management. 2013;2(4):7-15.
- Mahmmodirad G, Mohali F, Alhani F. Effect of family-centered empowerment model on the lifestyle of patients with hypertension. 2013.
- Koirala B, Himmelfarb CD, Budhathoki C, Tankumpuan T, Asano R, Davidson PM. Factors affecting heart failure self-care: An integrative review. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care. 2018;47(6):539-45.
- Orem D. Nursing: Concepts of Practice, A/1osby―Year, St. Louis; 1991.
- Wilkinson A, Whitehead L. Evolution of the concept of self-care and implications for nurses: a literature review. International Journal of nursing studies. 2009;46(8):1143-7.
- Thorne SE, Nyhlin KT, Paterson BL. Attitudes toward patient expertise in chronic illness. International journal of nursing studies. 2000;37(4):303-11.
- Fattah Badr S, Elmabsout A, Denna I. Family support, malnutrition and barriers to optimal dietary intake among elderly diabetic patients in Benghazi, Libya. Journal of Community Medicine & Health Education. 2014;4(270):2161-0711.
- Shahriari M, Ahmadi M, Babaee S, Mehrabi T, Sadeghi M. Effects of a family support program on self-care behaviors in patients with congestive heart failure. Iranian journal of nursing and midwifery research. 2013;18(2):152.
- Dunbar SB, Clark PC, Quinn C, Gary RA, Kaslow NJ. Family influences on heart failure self-care and outcomes. The Journal of cardiovascular nursing. 2008;23(3):258.
- Swearingen PL. Manual of medical-surgical nursing care: nursing interventions and collaborative management: Mosby; 2007.
- Asgari P, Zolfaghari M, Shaabani A. Can addressing Family education improve adherence of therapeutic regimen in hemodialysis patients? A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. Nursing Practice Today. 2015;2(1):4-9.
- Silver HJ, Wellman NS. Family caregiver training is needed to improve outcomes for older adults using home care technologies. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2002;102(6):831-6.
- Aggarwal B, Liao M, Allegrante JP, Mosca L. Low social support level is associated with non-adherence to diet at 1 year in the Family Intervention Trial for Heart Health (FIT Heart). Journal of nutrition education and behavior. 2010;42(6):380-8.
- Gance-Cleveland B. Motivational interviewing: improving patient education. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2007;21(2):81-8.
- Huang X, Huang X, Bai M, Hong G, Yang X. A research about the influence of long-term quality of life in MHD
patient after their family numbers have received home-nursing education. Chinese Journal of Practical Nursing. 2001(02).
- Chien WT, Chiu Y, Lam LW, Ip WY. Effects of a needs-based education programme for family carers with a relative in an intensive care unit: a quasi-experimental study. International journal of nursing studies. 2006;43(1):39-50.