Document Type: Original Article
MSC, Department of psychology, faculty of Literature and Humanity sciences, Lorestan University, Khorm Abad, Iran
Assistant professor, Department of psychology, faculty of Literature and Humanity sciences, Lorestan University, Khorm Abad, Iran
Introduction: Hypothyroidism is a clinical syndrome that occurs as a result of abnormalities in the production of thyroid hormones. Lack of this hurts sleep quality and sexual self-efficacy. The present study attempts to investigate the effectiveness of the Integrative approach of reality – Emotion- focused therapy on sleep quality and sexual self-efficacy in women with hypothyroidism.
Methods: The quasi-experimental research design was pre-test and post-test with the experimental and control groups. Among women who were admitted to the Shahid Rahimi hospital clinic with thyroid dysfunction, 30 were randomly selected and assigned to two experimental and control groups (15 people in each group). As a pre-test, sleep quality questionnaire (Petersburg, 1989) and sex self-efficacy questionnaire (Vaziri and Lotfi, 1392) were completed by the participants. Then an intervention with the Integrative approach of reality – Emotion-focused therapy for 10 sessions each lasting for 90 minutes was performed on the experiment group. Version 20 of SPSS software was used to analyze the data.
Results: Multivariate and univariate analysis of covariance indicated the effect of the independent variable on the dependent variables being significant at the level of (0.01). Moreover, the Integrative approach of reality – Emotion-focused therapy has affected the quality of sleep and sexual self-efficacy in patients with hypothyroidism.
Conclusion: According to the results, the Integrative approach of reality – Emotion-focused therapy in patients with hypothyroidism can increase sexual self- efficacy and improve their sleep quality. Therefore, this method can be used to treat and reduce their problems.
- Vanderpump MP. The epidemiology of thyroid disease. Br Med Bull. 2013; 99:39-51.
- Naderi T,Honarvar Z, Bahram poor A, Yousef zade GH. The Prevalence of Thyroid Hypothyroidism in Pregnant Women Referring to Shahid Dadibi Clinic of Kerman, Based on Risk Factors. Journal of Kerman University of Medical Sciences 2011; 19 (3): 225-232. ( In Persian)
- Shabani M, Ghorishi A. Assessment of thyroid function in patients with major depressive disorder and panic disorder in Zanjan city. Scientific Journal of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences 2009; 12(4): 435- 441. (In Persian)
- Van de Ven AC, Netea-Maier RT, de Vegt F, Ross HA, Sweep FC, Kiemeney LA, et al. Is there a relationship between fatigue perception and the serum levels of thyrotropin and free thyroxine in euthyroid subjects? Thyroid 2012; 22(12):123643.
- Potter PA, Perry AG. Fundamental of Basic Nursing. 5th ed. St Louis: Mosby; 2017.
- Afkham Ebrahimi A, Ghale Bandi MF, Salehi M, Kafian Tafti AR, Vakili Y, Akhlaghi Farsi A. Sleep Parameters and the Factors Affecting the Quality of Sleep in Patients Attending Selected Clinics of Rasoul-e Akram Hospital. Razi J Med Sci 2008; 15(58):31-38. (In Persian).
- Taraghi Z. Study of Sleep Health and Nurse's Role. Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Research, Sari 2001; 1: 51-46: (In Persian).
- Jebreely M. Evaluation of the effect of sleeplessness in working time on quality of nursing duty and the solutions of it. National congress of insomnia. 2005. Quality of Sleep and Related Factors among Imam Khomeini Hospital Staff Nurses. IJN. 2010; 23(63): 18 -25.
- Sadock BJ, Kaplan HI, Sadock VA. Kaplan and Sadock comprehensive textbook of psychiatry. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2009, P: 287–94
- Bailes SC, Fichten CS, Libman E, Brender W, Amsel R. Sexual self-efficacy scale for female functioning. Handbook of Sexuality-Related Measures. 3rd ed. New York: Syracuse; 2013.
- Melanie J, Gembeck Z. Young Females’ Sexual Self-Efficacy: Associations with personal autonomy and the couple relationship. Sexual Health 2013; 10: 204–210.
- Goshtasbi A, Vahdaninia M, Rahimi forooshani A. Prevalence and potential risk factors of female sexual difficulties: an urban Iranian population-based study. J Sex Med 2010; 6(11):2988–96. (In Persian)
- Simsek G, Yelmen NK, Guner I. The role of peripheral chemoreceptor activity on the respiratory response to hypoxia and hypercapnea in anaesthetized rabbit with induced hypothyroidism. Chin J Physiol 2004; 47(3): 153-159.
- Khazan K, Younesi SJ, Forughan M, Saadati H. The Effectiveness of Reality Therapy Training on Happiness in older Men Ardabil. Journal of Salmand 2015; 10(3):174-81. (In Persian)
- Choobdari A, Kazemi F, Pezeshk Sh. The Effectiveness of Reality Therapy on Reducing the Signs of Students with Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Journal of Exceptional People Psychology 2015; 5(20):10-20. (In Persian)
- Glasser, W. Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry. New York: Harper Collins Publication 2010; 85(3):653-666.
- Wubbolding R E, Casstevens W J, Fulkerson M. H. Using the WDEP System of Reality Therapy to Support Person‐Centered Treatment Planning. Journal of Counseling & Development 2017; 95(4): 472-477.
- Garnefs Ki N, Kraaij V. Relationships between cognitive emotion regulation strategies and depressive symptoms: A comparative study of five specific samples. Personality and Individual Differences 2006; 40(8): 1659-1669.
- Thompson, R. A. Emotion regulation: A theme in search of definition. Monographs of the society for research in child development 1994; 59(23): 25-52.
- Greenberg LS, Elliott R, Pos A. Special topic: Emotion-focused therapy. European Psychotherapy 2007; 7: 87-93.
- Greenberg LS. Emotion-Focused Therapy (Theories of Psychotherapy). APA. Washington: DC; 2011.
- Moncayo R, Moncayo H. Exploring the aspect of psychosomatics in hypothyroidism: The WOMED model of body– mind interactions based on musculoskeletal changes, psychological stressors, and low levels of magnesium. Woman - Psychosom Gynaecol Obstet. 2014; 1:1-11.
- Buysse D J, Reynolds Iii CF, Monk TH, Berman SR, Kupfer D J. The Pittsburgh sleep quality index: A new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Research1989; 28(2): 193-213.
- Heydari A, Ehteshamzadeh P, Marashi M. Relationship between severity of insomnia, air quality, sleepless and mental health disorder with academic performance in girls. Journal of Women and Culture 2008; 1(4): 65-76. (In Persian)
- Lemma S, Gelaye B, Berhane Y, Worku A, Williams MA. Sleep quality and its psychological correlates among university students in Ethiopia: a cross-sectional study. BMC Psychiatry 2015; 12:237.
- Rafiee M, Seifi A. The effectives of reality therapy on hypothyroidism. Andesheh 2013;7:37-48. (Persian).
- Glasser W. Reality therapy in Action. New York: Harper Collins 2010; 85(3): 653-666.
- Gross JJ. Handbook of Emotion Regulation. New York: Guilford Publications; 2013.
- Garnefski N, Kraaij V. Cognitive Emotion Regulation Questionnaire–Development of a Short 18-Item Version (CERQ-Short). Personality and Individual Differences 2006; 41(6):1045-53.
- Galhardo A, Cunha M, Pinto-Gouveia J. Measuring self-efficacy to deal with infertility: psychometric properties and confirmatory factor analysis of the Portuguese version of the infertility self-efficacy scale. Res Nurs Health J 2015; 36:65–74.
- Rostosky SS, Dekhtyar O, Cupp PK, Anderman EM. Sexual self-concept and sexual self-efficacy in adolescents: a possible clue to promoting sexual health. J Sex Res 2017;45(4):402–8.
- Shackelford, T. KSusceptibility to infidelity in the first year of marriage. Journal of Research in Personality 2005; 31(2): 193-221.
- Wubbolding R, Bibler L. How could this happen? The death of a child International Journal of Choice Theory and Reality Therapy 2014; 34 (1): 28-32.
- Greenberg LJ, Warwar SH, Malcolm WM. Differential effects of emotion-focused therapy and psychoeducation in facilitating forgiveness and letting go of emotional injuries. J Couns Psychol 2008; 55(2): 185.
- Khoshnam S, Borjali A, Karegari Padar L, Amiri H. Effectiveness of emotion-focused therapy on patients with major depression disorder. Contemp Psycho 2014; 9(1): 95106. (In Persian)
- Greenberg LS. Emotion-focused therapy: Coaching clients to work through feelings. Washington DC: American Psychological; 2002.