Ph.D. Student, Department of Educational Management, Kazerun Branch, Islamic Azad University, Kazerun, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Educational Management, Kazerun Branch, Islamic Azad University, Kazerun, Iran
Assistant Professor of Higher Education Management, Department of Educational Management, Farhangiyan University, Tehran, Iran
Introduction: One of the strongest tendencies in human beings is "authoritarianism" or "power-seeking", which emerges from the first years of human life in a child and it is activated to the extent that one can expose power and it directs their deeds and behavior. The purpose of this study is to determine authoritarianism in prison psychologists.
Materials and Methods: This descriptive correlation study was performed by simple random sampling in Shiraz Central Prison. The research population was all the prisoners in Shiraz, 374 of whom were selected through simple random sampling, The information was collected through a questionnaire including authoritarianism and parenting style questionnaire which was measured with 82 questions. The reliability of the authoritarianism questionnaire was 86% and that of the parental questionnaire was 82%, both of which were measured by Chronbach’s alpha. SPSS, correlation coefficient, and regression analysis were used for data analysis.
Results: The findings showed that there is a significant positive correlation between family structure in parenting (for prison psychologists) and their authoritarianism (p = <0.01) in a way that the more negative the value of family educational structure (considering the probability of 0.01% error), the more authoritarianism people have. Although positive constructs can reduce children's authoritarianism, negative parenting in raising children can directly predict the prison psychologists’ authoritarianism (P < 0.01 and Beta = 0.20). There is a significant correlation between the structure of exclusionary families and authoritarianism with r = 0.223 and p < 0.01, between chaotic families and authoritarianism with r = 0.167 and p < 0.05, and between coercive families and authoritarianism with r = 0.146 and p < 0.05. Although positive constructs can lead to a decline in children's authoritarianism, the dimensions of negative constructs of family structure in education including exclusionary families (P Conclusion: The results show that family educational structure is effective on children’s bullying and authoritarianism and that negative parenting has a direct effect on authoritarian behavior. In addition, families with exclusion or coercion constructs have a higher percentage of authoritarian behavior of their children. This confirms the impact of family and family education on children's future behavior and on society’s mental health.
- Adorno T W, Frenkel B E, Levinson D J, Sanford R N. The Authoritarian Personality New York: Harper. 1950.
- Ary D, Jacobs L C, Sorensen C, Razavieh A. Introduction to research in education eight edition. Wadsworth: Cengage Learning; 2010.
- Pero A. Social science culture. Translate Bagher Sarokhani, Tehran Keyhan; 2010.
- Olweus D. Bullying at school what we know and what we can do. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell; 1993.
- Amid Zanjani A. An introduction to the scope and scope of Michel Foucault's theoretical apparatus; 1998. (In Persian)
- Bostani D, Mohamadpur A. An introduction to the scope and scope of Michel Foucault's theoretical apparatus. Journal of Social Sciences, Mashad Ferdosi University Publications 2009; 6: 53-99. (In Persian)
- Kavakbiyan M. The Basics of Legitimacy in the Jurisprudence. Teharn, Orroj Publications; 2009.
- Imam Ali, Nahj al-Balagha, Sayyed Sharif Razi, translator. Dashti M. Mashhad: Noor al-Mobin publications; 2001. (In Persian)
- Estrous A, Golit K, Soroori M, Mohamadi B. Principles in Qualitative Research, Tehran, Institute for Humanities and Cultural Studies; 2006.
- Shostorm O, Ghazi G, Gholamali S. Human psychology dominates the atmosphere. Teharn, Sepehr Publishing Center; 1990.
- Shamloo S. Mental Health, Tehran. Roshd Publications; 2015.
- Wang J, Iannotti R, Luk JW. Patterns of adolescent bullying behaviors: Physical, verbal, exclusion, rumor, and cyber. Journal of School Psychology 2012; 50: 521–534.
- Shafiee A. Khedmati A, Piroz A. Organizational Behavior with Islamic Approach. Ghom Publication University and field research; 2006. (In Persian)
- Saatchi M. Industrial Psychology. Tehran, Samt Publication; 2007:50-58.
- Rezaiian A. Providing a Charismatic Leadership Model in Organization from strategic Planning Perspective. Public Management Journal 2009; 1(3):50-55.
- Ghasemi T, Oreyzi H R, Mousavi Z. The effect of emotion regulation training on perceived bullying and job performance of female employees at the organization of physical education Journal of Psychological Science, 2019: 18, (75): 287-296(In Persian)
- Hidens B, Yonesi M; Khadori M. Power speeches from Hobbes to Foucault. Mofid University Publication's; 2011.
- Dorreh E, Banijamali Sh, Ahadi H. The Mediating Role of Emotional Intelligence in Relationship Between Parenting Styles and Bullying, Psychological Studies, 2019 : 15 (1): 7-23(In Persian)
- Sariolghalam M. Iranian authoritarianism in the Qajar era. Beheshi's University. Tehran. Forozan's Publications; 2013:111-119(In Persian)
- Gofin R; Avitzour M. Traditional Versus Internet Bullying in Junior High School Students. Matern Child Health 2012; 16(8):1625-1635.
- Beyrami M, Hashemi T, Fathi Azar E, Alaei P. The effectiveness of PEGS-based shame management training in reducing bullying in adolescent girls. Journal of Modern Psychological Research, 2016: 10 (39): 1-23(In Persian)
- Shabahang R, Sedighian S F, Rahimi Nezhad A, Soltani Shal R. Role of Difficulties in Emotional Regulation and Alexithymia in Prediction of Bullying. Quarterly Journal of Child Mental Health. 2019; 6(3): 40-50 (In Persian)
- Purtaleb N, Mirnasab M. Parent, victim and normal student knowledge article. Journal of Tabriz University 2016; 9(36):131-145.
- Heydari A, Hakiminia N, Purafkari N, Forotan SH. The impact of sociologe economic basis on authoritarianism. Journal of Isfahan University of Management Science 2014; 4(23):67-84.
- Allahdadi N. Investigating Cultural and Social Factors Affecting Belief in Democracy (Case Study: Isfahan University Students) [Master Thesis], Isfahan University, 2011. (In Persian)
- Sadeghi M.A.S., Ansarinezhad F, Fadaei Z, Roubenzadeh Sh., Ebrahimi S.M. The Role of Parenting Styles In Children Self Formation and Self-Discrepancy. Journal of Family Research Summer 2009:5(18); 139 - 158.
- Mosanezhad A. Social factors influencing the trend of teenage boys and young prisoners to drugs, [Master Thesis]. Isfahan University.1999. (In Persian)
- Norris G. the authoritarian personality in the department 21st century, Book. 2005. PP: 3-314.